Friday, May 8, 2020

One-of-a-Kind Lady in My Life

Remember to Create!

Hello Stamping Friends,

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying each day as best as you can. This week with the Sisters in Stamping we are sharing Mother's Day cards with you. We all have that one-of-a-kind person in our life, our mom and I know I certainly had a one-of-a-kind mom.

 Growing up, we didn't have a ton of money. We weren't able to have the best of everything. We didn't go out to eat often. We didn't even take "proper" vacations until I was in high school and in order to do that, my mom took out a loan. But my mom, did so much for us, that I thought we were rich. I thought we went to the best restaurants when we did go out. I thought I had the best clothes ever. And I thought those trips to stay at her cousin's house, my aunt's house or her friend's house were the best vacations ever. It was because of how she looked at them that we saw them the same way. So many great memories were made with not a ton of money.

 I honestly, haven't participated in this day of posting for the past few years because this is not an easy time of year for me since I lost my mom when she was so young (and so was I). I don't have anyone to give a Mother's Day card to so I really don't enjoy making them. 

However, I decided this year this card was a perfect fit for me to actually participate in the blog. I'm sure you'll notice there is no greeting on my card (never mind, a Happy Mother's Day), but this card is the perfect card for me to share a memorable story with you about my mom this Mother's Day. It's a story that I am often reminded of thanks to my sister. I hope you will keep reading.


When I was about twelve years old, we went to visit one of my mom's friends. While we were there, we pulled out Pictionary and set off to play a few rounds. It was all good and fun, until it was my turn to draw a seahorse for my team (aka Mom). I drew it much like what you see above. The key being I drew the tail curled in the front. My teammate (aka Mom) had no idea what I drew. I then shared what it was and she started laughing. Imagine that!!!!  Yep, she laughed so hard that she literally started crying. I still didn't know why she was laughing so much. She couldn't even speak. Well, guess what happened when Mom was laughing so hard that it brought tears. Yep, you guessed it! I started crying and it wasn't for the same reason as my mom. Nope! I was crying because my mom thought my drawing was so bad that it made her laugh until she cried. Finally, she was able to get out the words to tell us what made her laugh. Wait for it.........it was because I drew the tail in the front. Uh-huh, just like the above. In her head it should have been behind the seahorse and she just found it so odd.

To this very day, I have NEVER played Pictionary again, nor will I. However, my younger sister is so kind to buy me seahorse items from time to time and even has my now grown children pointing out seahorses to me. As recently as last week, my sister bought seahorse dog toys. The harassment is real people! (LOL)

So, now instead of drawing anything I stamp. And I will buy seahorse stamps because they make me think of my mom.  If you are lucky enough to still have your mother don't take her for granted. I know I did because I was only 20  years old when I lost her and I miss her every single day for the past 25 years (with tears in my eyes as I type this). 

Thank you for stopping by and letting me share a special part of my memories with my mom with you. I hope you have a wonderful day with your mother or with your children as they celebrate you.

Don't forget to head over to Sisters in Stamping for more ideas that are geared for those one-of-a-kind ladies in our lives.

If you have any questions on how to make the card, please ask. I'd be happy to share it with you. All of the "ingredients" used to make it are below. 

Product List
Paper Snips
[103579]
$10.00

No comments:

Post a Comment