Friday, October 18, 2013

Undefined............

Hello Stamping Friends,

That's right, undefined is the topic of discussion today. Yes, it's Fabulous Friday with the Sisters in Stampin. Yes, we do have a theme today. It is the new Undefined, stamp carving kit.  Let me tell you, I thought it was pretty cool when they announced it at convention back in July. I ordered mine as soon as I could and then it just sat there. Oh, I would often ponder what I wanted to have a stamp of, but the simple thought of me having to draw and then carve a stamp scared me right away.

Let's be honest with each other. I stamp for a reason......I'm no artist. I can't draw. Won't catch me playing Pictionary. Well, that is because my mom laughed so hard at a sea horse I drew while playing a game of Pictionary with her and a couple of her friends as a teenager. She laughed so hard that she had tears in her eyes.  Needless to say, I ended up with tears in my eyes but not for the same reason as hers.  Don't get me wrong she wasn't being mean but I was super sensitive. I really don't think it was that bad, the big thing for her was that I drew the tail curling in the front. Which you will often see, so she was obviously mistaken.  Unfortunately for me, Mom is gone but the seahorse episode lives on. My sister often will buy me a seahorse item as a remembrance.

Now back to why you are really here, to see some stamped projects.  Okay, after taking a deep breath and deciding that I wanted a scarecrow stamp (there are none currently available) I went searching the internet for a picture of one that wasn't going to be too hard for me to look at and draw something similar myself. Here's the picture I used for inspiration.


Not too bad, right?  Well I decided, I didn't want to have the crow on mine. Honestly, it was because I wanted to keep my first carving experience as simple as possible. Why add more to it? So I started by drawing it onto a scrap piece of computer paper.  See the drawing on the right?  I then transferred it to the rubber and carved it out. The wood block on the left is how it looks stamped. So, how did I do?
   Here you have it stamped in navy on paper as well as what the rubber image looks like after I carved it.

 
And now the moment you have been waiting for. What does it look like on a card?  Well here it is. I love, love, love how it turned out. It's really fun to carve your own stamps. Now the problem for me is to decide what other images I NEED to have. That's the real problem. Overthinking!


 Here's a close-up of just the image so you can see it better. I just used the Stampin' Write markers to color the stamp and then stamped it onto whisper white cardstock.  For the tie on around the neck, I used pieces of the burlap ribbon that I frayed and glued them on with Tombo Multi-purpose adhesive.  I used a few of the spare pieces over the piece of burlap ribbon that is coming out from under the right hand side of the stamped image.  I then cut the frayed ribbon in half and attached one piece to the top of the stamped image and the other piece to the bottom.

Don't forget to head over to Sisters in Stamping for more carved stamp projects.  And don't forget to order your own Undefined kit to start carving your own stamps. It's a whole lot of fun.

Stamping Supplies Used:
Stamps: Undefined Stamp Carving Kit
Ink: Stampin' Write Markers, Sahara Sand, Tangerine Tango, Crushed Curry, Wild Wasabi, Basic Black, Night of Navy
Paper: Whisper White, Early Espresso, Crushed Curry Cardstock & Sweater Weather Designer Series Paper
Accessories: Burlap Ribbon, Sticky Tape, Snail Adhesive, Dimensionals, Craft Scissors, Paper Snips

No comments:

Post a Comment