Thursday, April 19, 2018

Autism Awareness Blog Hop

Hello Stamping Friends,

April is Autism Awareness month. I am participating in this blog hop and fundraiser because I have family members and friends that have children with varying degrees of Autism so this is something near and dear to me. Also, as a teacher, I see and teach children with Autism almost daily at school. 

AUTISM FACTS FROM THE AUTISM SOCIETY WEBSITE: 

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a complex developmental disability; signs typically appear during early childhood and affect a person’s ability to communicate, and interact with others. ASD is defined by a certain set of behaviors and is a “spectrum condition” that affects individuals differently and to varying degrees. There is no known single cause of autism, but increased awareness and early diagnosis/intervention and access to appropriate services/supports lead to significantly improved outcomes. Some of the behaviors associated with autism include delayed learning of language; difficulty making eye contact or holding a conversation; difficulty with executive functioning, which relates to reasoning and planning; narrow, intense interests; poor motor skills’ and sensory sensitivities. Again, a person on the spectrum might follow many of these behaviors or just a few, or many others besides. The diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder is applied based on analysis of all behaviors and their severity.

If you would like to donate to the fundraiser for Autism research and support CLICK HERE. You can be a small part of helping the puzzle piece.

Be sure to click through each blog for stamped inspiration using the colors of the Autism Awareness ribbon of red, blue and yellow. I used the Going Far stamp set for my card. It's also a fun fold card, which I know a lot of you love. This is a rather easy fun fold to make as well.


Who doesn't love to travel? I know I do, so the suitcases in the Going Places set (which is retiring) spoke to me when I first saw them.  For this card, you start with the basic card base. Then you cut a square out of the front panel. I used the stitched framelits for this step.


Then you need an inset piece that is 6" x 5" scored at 2" and 4" on the 6" side. Accordian fold it and attach to the inside of the card (where you would write a greeting). Close the card and attach the cut out piece  through the "window" so it will be lined up properly (be sure to only use adhesive on the side that is being attached to the accordian cardstock or else you won't be able to open it. Trust me on this one (wink, wink). 


Then you decorate the square however you want. Tip: all pieces attached to the square needs to fit on it and not hang off on any sides or the card won't open the way you want it to. I added the embossed layer to make it more put together looking. A little embossing goes a long way.


Here it is all open and laid flat so you can see it better. Neat card, huh?  

Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to keep hopping through all the blogs and remember you can donate to Autism research by CLICKING HERE. 


5 comments:

  1. What a lovely 'interactive' card Rachel. So much happiness and cheer in the colours - and such a great and interesting fold! Thanks for hopping today with the Team. Have a super day and God Bless, Cynthia <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great fold!! I am going to have to try it as I have never done one like this before, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Rachel. I love interactive cards, so much fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing fancy fold cards. This looks great. I love the interaction of the fold.

    ReplyDelete